A few things
1) Recognize that sugar and sugary items are NOT FOOD. THEY AREN'T FOOD AT ALL. Sugar energizes you with multiple costs. Food nourishes you with no cost for a longer time.
2) Focus on proteins. Not even lean proteins. Just proteins.
3)Discern between hunger and lack of hydration.
4) Discern between boredom and hunger.
5) Listen to your body when you DO eat. Getting full? Get ready to quit. Already full? Quit. Save it for later and enjoy it MORE. already full and can't quit? You're eating the wrong food – sugar or cheese is involved. Get away.
6) Never shy away from physical activity. Take the elevator rather than the stairs, that doesn't matter. But never say “other people have to move that desk” or things like that. Keep moving.
Everyone always said “iT's jUst uR aGe. yOu'LL c wEn u gEt oLdER. Hurrdurr” Bro, I'm 30 with a receding hairline and crunchy knees. How old do I have to get before my advice and experience is valid? LOLOL
If I exercised more and with purpose, I could eat way more, and more sugary things. As it stands though, defending my health involves cutting carbs and reducing unnecessary intake which is easy when you cut carbs. How many unflavored bites of chicken breast could you eat before you got sated? Not that many. WAY less than if it was coated with a delicious seasoning or worse, BBQ sauce (which is Satan's temptation. It's so good).
7) Recognize you are robbing your future self of future physical and emotional comfort by damaging your body. Your opinion of yourself matters and will be dictated by your regard for your meat suit.
8) Similar to above, but recognize that you're probably going to get laid more (and better) if you take care of your body. Nobody likes to think of it like this, but would you rather have a cookie every day, or would you rather get laid every day? Hmmmmmmm.
Pick whichever motivation you want, but it's a wise statement to say “if you want to see big changes, change the way you see things, not how you do things.”
Secret tip: #8 is huge. Just remember, when you put that snickers bar in your mouth, it's like spitting out a nice titty. Foolish. Just foolish.
Still, were all humans, and food be scrumptious. It's why I do so well with black/white. No carb or all carb. No carb got me where I wanted after ROUGH transition periods. Nothing else did. Nothing. So I'll take the initially painful guarantee than the forever-painful gamble or worse, the forever painful, yet sugary guarantee of poor health.